Karen Best Wright, Health Educator/Wellness Coach
When it has been a long time since you had small children in your home, having young grandchildren either visit or come live with you can be worrisome. None of us want accidents to happen, especially ones that can easily be avoided.
10 Child-proofing ideas:
- Install smoke and carbon dioxide detectors in all bedrooms and an additional one on each floor.
- Always unplug and put away an iron after use.
- Install baby gates to keep babies and toddlers either in or out of designated areas.
- Do not have toy boxes that have hinged lids that can fall on little fingers.
- Keep pet food away from children. It is a choking hazard.
- Electric outlet covers are a must, preferably the type that can be screwed on.
- Keep medicine out of a child's reach, even if it does have child-proof lids. Children can be ingenious.
- Be aware of what houseplants or outdoor plants are poisonous and avoid them.
- Kitchen cabinets and drawers should have safety locks unless the contents are harmless and you don't mind the contents dumped on the floor.
- Always keep a fire extinguisher securely fastened to the wall.
If you would like to learn 58 other child-proofing ideas, click here. Great Ideas by Contractor Quotes.